Unlike the old times when the basic necessities of life included food, cloth, and shelter, the current population is largely dependent on energy, which has made it a necessity of life. While for many people around the world, energy is still a luxury that they cannot afford or get; most people rely on energy more than anything. In such a scenario, students often come up with the question, is energy a good career path?
Of course, it is! The meaning of energy has constantly changed over the years, and so have the sources of energy. A lot of manpower is required in different parts of the energy sector, who are responsible for keeping operations running at home, in businesses, and in all industries around the world. The variety of careers and jobs in energy is immense and is suitable for people of all age groups and education levels.
In fact, as the demand for renewable energy is rising, the level and complexity of employment are also increasing. This calls in for more experts and learned professionals. Thus, if you are trying to create a good career path in the energy sector, there is surely something out for you that pays well and matches your requirements.
Is Energy a Good Career Path?
The energy sector is immensely extravagant and is not confined to a few roles or effects on a few sectors. It has an impact on the whole world and is the main factor in running vital industries and sectors. Some people have the wrong presumptions that the energy field requires only a few roles pertaining to engineering and relevant fields. However, this is completely false.
At present, roles such as software developers, financial analysts, chemists, machine operators, information systems managers, etc., in multiple new fields have come into prominence. This has widened the scope of employment in the energy sector.
Consequently, we can say that energy is a good path for people hailing from numerous backgrounds. It offers a plethora of opportunities for people ranging from the position of a laborer to managerial posts. Also, energy jobs generally pay well, especially those related to renewable energy careers. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary of jobs in energy lies between $80,000 to $100,000 annually.
Some of the fastest-growing jobs in the energy sector include-
- Wind Turbine Technician- with 68% employment growth
- Solar Panel Installer- with 52% employment growth
- Derrick Operator- with 30% employment growth
- Software Developer- with 22% employment growth
- Industrial Machinery Mechanic- with 19% employment growth.
Therefore, it can be conferred that energy is a good career path, especially for those who are looking to enroll in a relevant course and make an amazing career out of it.
Best Paying Jobs in Energy Sector
The energy sector added 300,000 jobs to the US economy in 2021. Many engineering and science positions constitute the top strata of the best-paying jobs in the energy sector. They can help you understand how you can make a good career path in the energy sector. While some jobs are related to conventional energy, others are more prominent in the renewable energy sector. Let us read about them.
Best Jobs in Conventional Energy
- Chemists– Chemists are people who play with chemical reactions and are experts in the field of chemistry science. They have a variety of skills, including comprehension of chemical reactions, which are essential in combustion or generating solar power, etc. With their knowledge, they can develop new products and make observations and discoveries. The average salary of a Chemist in the US is around $79,300.
- Geoscientist– While this career path is quite undiscovered, and very few people adopt it, it is one of the best-paying career paths in energy. Geoscientists study the physical conditions of Earth. With their knowledge, they find and excavate resource deposits that are abode to a lot of energy. The average annual income of a geoscientist in the US is a whopping $93,000.
- Environmental Engineer– Environmental Engineers possess knowledge pertaining to the environment and act as mediators between humans and the environment. With their skills and knowledge, they engineer solutions to meet human needs while also addressing waste disposal issues, pollution, etc. The average salary of an environmental engineer in the US is around $92000.
- Industrial Engineer– Huge energy projects require an industrial engineer. They enhance the optimal efficiency of the systems, machines, and products. The average annual salary of an Industrial Engineer is around $88,950.
Best Jobs in Renewable Energy
- Solar Software Developer- It is a technical career in which the developers are required to create software that can customize the aspects of production. It is an office job, which is one of the highest paying solar energy jobs with an average pay of around $110000.
- Chemical Engineer- While some people might not know this fact, a chemical engineer is a good career path in energy. Chemical engineers have knowledge of chemistry, biology, physics, and maths, which they use to solve production issues and develop energy sources. The average salary of a chemical engineer in the renewable energy field is around $108,000.
- Green Construction Manager– The construction manager who use green methodologies to work on “green” projects are called green construction managers. They plan, develop and construct projects while working in the field as well as in the office. Their average salary is somewhere around $97000.
- Financial analyst– The role of a financial analyst is prominent in any sector, including energy. They perform a cost-benefit analysis and examine and enhance efficiency. The average salary of a financial analyst in renewable energy is $83000.
How to Make a Good Career Path in Energy?
Most of the high-paying jobs mentioned above require a Bachelor’s degree, and with experience, the position and the pay increase. However, you can complete relevant professional degrees or training to make a good career path in energy. Some of the best courses include the following-
MBA Sustainable Business
For students who want to build a career in green or renewable energy, a Sustainable Business Master of Business Administration degree is a good option. It helps students understand corporate and social responsibility and adopt environment-friendly practices. A person can get a job as a Business Analyst, Sustainability Manager, and even Executive Director after completing this degree.
BS in Environmental Science and Climate Change
Another beneficial degree for students looking to make a career in the energy sector is a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science and Climate Change. It gives students an understanding of environmental issues and ways to solve them. After completing this, a person can become an Environmental Consultant, Environmental Scientist, or even an Environmental Project Specialist.
BS Sustainable Business Management
To become a business leader, a student must undertake an SBM Renewable Energy Bachelor of Science degree. It teaches them innovation and green energy and helps them make amazing careers in renewable energy, including Energy engineering, Program Manager, Compliance Specialist, etc.
Master’s in Professional Science in Environmental Studies and Sustainability
This Masters’s degree helps students possess environmental problem-solving skills. They can understand the climate change issues and find solutions for the same by acquiring roles such as Urban Planner, Operations Manager, Sustainability Coordinator, etc.
So if you or your loved ones are budging with the question, “is energy a good career path?” you must divert them towards searching for the best courses as energy is definitely a rewarding career path for any student. With lucrative salaries and vital posts which can give you the power to bring good changes to the world, energy is surely a beneficial career path!
Leave a Reply